During double red cell donation, a special automated process called apheresis is used to collect two units of red blood cells during a single donation. In just two annual appointments, you can contribute the same number of life-saving red cells as you would from four whole blood donations—in half the visits.
- Types most needed: O+, O-, A-, B-
- Type O donors are in high demand, especially O- donors (universal red cell donor) whose red cells can be given to everyone in need
- Donate two times a year (every six months)
- Approximate donation time: one hour
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates blood collection throughout the U.S., has established special eligibility requirements that apply to double red cell donors in addition to general eligibility requirements:
|Gender||Min. Weight||Min. Height|
|Males||130 lbs.||5' 1"|
|Females||150 lbs.||5' 5"|
- Contact us at 1-888-GIVE-BLD for additional information.
- Double Red Donations Brochure