- How do I request testing from the Immunohematology Reference Laboratory?
Download the Request for Reference Lab Testing Order Form. As the requesting hospital or blood bank, complete this form in detail and submit it to the Memorial Blood Centers Reference Laboratory, along with each specimen to be tested. For patient/donor samples sent via external carrier, enclose the original form with your order and, in addition, fax a copy of your request to the Lab at 651-332-7008.
- How do I order HLA-matched or HPA-1a negative platelets?
The Request for Reference Lab Testing Order Form is used to order platelets. In the “Test Requested” section, under “Other”, please specify the type of platelets you are ordering. Please fax a copy of your request to the Lab at 651-332-7008. A Memorial Blood Centers lab technologist will call you to verify your order.
- What type of sample is acceptable and volume needed for testing?
Requirements vary by the type of test being performed and are detailed on the Request for Reference Lab Testing Order Form. Please refer to the Specimen Requirements section of this form for information.
- What is the difference between STAT, ASAP, and routine testing?
- STAT testing should be requested when a patient transfusion is needed emergently.
- ASAP testing should be requested when a patient is waiting for transfusion but the situation is not life threatening.
- Routine orders will be processed as time allows.