Student Essay Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to seniors Kelli Voss of Virgina High School and Erin Hagemeyer of Osseo High School for their ingenuity and writing talents in the Student Essay Scholarship. This year's topic focused on creative strategies for recruiting new blood donors—and helping to build a life-long commitment to saving lives. Essay participants interviewed non-donor peers and analyzed the reasons given for not donating blood. Then each recommended strategies to overcome those objections. Scholarship applicants were provided with the following interview questions:
- 1 in 3 people will need blood at some point in their lives. Who do you imagine these people to be?
- Do you believe donating blood is the right thing to do?
- What is the main reason you don't donate blood?
- Do you think you would be a blood donor at some point in the future? Why or why not? If so, at what age?
- If you were willing and able to give blood today, where woud you go to donate?
We received many interesting and enlightening essay responses from high school seniors throughout the Twin Cities Metro and Northland areas. Thanks to all for participating—and for spreading the word about the importance of blood donation!