A platelet donation, using an automated apheresis (AY-fur-EE-sis) process, collects the equivalent of six times the amount of platelets that typically would be collected from a whole blood donation and benefits patients by exposing them to blood from fewer donors.
- Donors are in constant demand as platelets have a shelf-life of only five days
- Types most needed: A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-
- Donate every two weeks, (24 times/year); two days later, you can donate whole blood. You must wait 56 days to donate again after giving whole blood.
- Approximate donation time: 2 hours
- Platelet donations can be made at our Bloomington, Eden Prairie, Plymouth, and St. Paul donor center locations
- Call to schedule an appointment: 651-332-7150
Want to find out if you can donate platelets?
Please contact us at 651-332-7150.
Platelet Apheresis FAQ
Contact us at 1-888-GIVE-BLD
for additional information. Platelet Apheresis Donations Brochure